Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Excuses or reality?

I think that I have discovered that for me, this dieting thing is going to be in spurts and fits. After being so successful the other week, the last 2 have been only okay. I am definitely making good choices although they may not be the "best" choice. We were getting new kitchen appliances last week so it was a lot of eating out. The last few weeks of school are always crazy. Like I said, I am still making good choices. This is keeping me from gaining, but I am not really losing. My attitude is different though. I am not seeing it as a failure but as a reality of life. There will be some weeks where I am less motivated and there will be some weeks where there is a lot going on and my focus is elsewhere. There will also be weeks where I am gung ho.

I went to the endocrinologist yesterday. She said that even though my primary care physician has been hesitant to say I have diabetes, I really do have it. She said that it is very mild and that it may go away with weight loss. For now, I have not been able to manage it through diet and exercise alone. My blood sugar does not change at all when I exercise which is weird. There are 2 types of diabetes medicine. One type lowers blood sugar while the other either increases this other hormone you need or inhibits the blocking of that hormone. I have already been taking the type that lowers your blood sugar. She wants me to take the other type as well. There are 2 forms; one oral, one injected. The one you inject actually makes most people also lose a significant amount of weight. I opted for that one. So now I get to inject myself twice a day. It isn't too bad. I am giving myself a pass this week on a lot of things until I get used to the new medicine. They said that it can make you nauseous. I haven't really been nauseous yet, but it does give me a fluttery feeling in my stomach. Almost like nervousness when I drink too much caffeine. It isn't entirely unpleasant, just weird.

I didn't weigh in last week. I expect that today I will be either the same or maybe a pound higher. It will be interesting to see how this new medicine helps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home