Friday, October 27, 2006

New way to do a Food Diary

I had a brilliant idea last night. I don't know if this would be helpful to anyone else. For all I know, this is really how a food diary is supposed to work, but here it goes. I am always hesitant to do a food diary. There are only two reasons to do one. Either I am showing it to someone else to figure out where I am making mistakes or it is for my own accountability. Both of those reasons center on negativity for me. There's too much guilt involved. It is never a true picture on my diet, it is just a record of my attempt to be perfect. Even when they suggest you write your mood, I don't really find that helpful.

Last night though, I came up with a new idea. Along with writing the time and what I ate, I can write why I chose that particular food. I can do it for a week without trying to alter my behavior. Some examples would be fuel, convenience, treat, entitlement, it was there, stuffing emotions, etc. For me, one obstacle is that I keep trying to alter the way I eat without addressing why I eat that way. I make it all about what I am doing versus what I know I should be doing. I don't think that works for me. A better way is to listen to my body and give it what it wants. There are very few times that I eat junk food because I really WANT it. Usually there is much more emotional crap wrapped up in it.

I am going to try it out for a week without trying to alter my behavior. Maybe next week I will try it while making dietary changes. It will be a little experiment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home