Friday, September 15, 2006

Progress?

I am doing well on the changes I made last week. I've done great on the water and not going overboard when I eat out. By eating an apple and nut butter in the morning, I haven't had any of the blood sugar issues. I am trying to figure out what is causing my fingers to break out. I know I am allergic to chocolate and I think that may be the culprit. I had a little bit the other day and I could feel my allergies starting up and my fingers itching and breaking out. I am going to stay away from it all week and see what happens.

I really expected to see a weight difference with the amount of water I've been drinking but I haven't. I had a bit of a hard time last weekend with either allergies or a cold. I didn't start feeling better until mid week. I am hoping that I haven't seen a weight reduction because my body is healing in other ways. I really feel a lot better from allergies. I have to believe that the weight will come off sometime. It is so hard to not get discouraged and chuck the whole thing because I can't measure the progress.

Another change I made last week was to do all the grocery shopping at Whole Foods. I am not ready to completely eliminate foods from the kids' diets so if they are eating Pop Tarts, at least I know that the ones from Whole Foods are made from whole wheat and don't have chemicals. Same with lunch meat. I convinced the kids to do 2 days dairy free. I was trying to talk to them about all the other foods they could have. They both did very well. I was especially worried about Becca because she has always lived off of cheese and fruit. She told me it wasn't very hard. They had a few missteps that I didn't point out (the peanut butter crackers were cheese and peanut butter) because I didn't want to discourage them. As I eliminate these things from our house hopefully we will get better at this. Mid week we ran out of salami (Jessie's choice for an cheese-free sandwich. We ran to the normal grocery store and bought some that had chemicals in it. Sure enough, Jessie broke out and was itchy that night. For now, with the slow changes approach, I would rather spend the extra money and get them the foods they like in a healthier version than tell them that they can't have them anymore. Little by little I will try to help us all make better choices.

Goals for this week:
continue water and supplements
continue trying to make better choices when eating out
continue 2 days dairy free and limit dairy on other days
ramp up exercise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home